Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Tanner's Debut


My imaginative and formerly-reserved son, Tanner, turned five years old on Saturday.  The best thing about Tanner is that if you have the time, he will gladly occupy it by relaying to you whatever is on his mind. And if you don’t cut him off, he will not on his own accord stop talking. And some of the things he says will leave you amused and often puzzled. It’s delightful and entertaining, and, like, way cheaper and more appropriate than most things you could spend your money on in Las Vegas.

And speaking of appropriateness and Tanner, I have a video for your viewing play-sure.

When Tanner was 2 years old, our stake (Biblical/LDS term for a gathering of “wards” or congregations, usually about 5 to 12 wards) produced a play for all to enjoy. It was a “musical revue,” wherein a number of pieces from different Broadway musicals were performed, tied together loosely by a storyline written by my very own wife and resident hotty, Katie.

Katie, 8 months pregnant with Becca, was working together with the director and as they were deciding on which musical numbers would work for the show, someone joked about the idea of having an 8-month pregnant Katie Craig sing “I’m Just a Girl Who Cain’t Say No” from the musical “Oklahoma.” Because really, what’s a stake play without some good ole’ fashioned innuendo?

And somehow it happened. It was decided that Katie would sing the song and our five children – with an additional three that were actually not our children – would be part of the number, with me kind of standing in the background.

Since my part was minimal and the director knew my schedule, she told me I only needed to come to the last two practices before the performances started. (And that is why she is going to heaven.) During the practices I watched Tanner in complete amazement. Without encouragement, at only 2 years old, he followed his brothers and sisters, doing whatever they did. It was adorable! But the thought kept coming to me that practices were one thing, and performing on a lighted stage in front of 1,000 people was something entirely different. I had my concerns about opening night.

Not only did he do it, but he stole the show. You can’t hear all the laughter on the video because the microphones were fed directly into the cameras, but the place fell apart whenever he did something. This adorable 2 year old in a red union-suit (you know, with the buttoned-up bum) was all about the performance. And at the part where we all gather in a circle with our hands on our knees, Tanner is shaking what his momma gave him right at the audience, and I bet there was pants-wetting going on in that there crowd.

So, here’s to you, Tanner. One of the most entertaining people I’ve met in my life. I hope you never change.



For a bigger picture, click here.